With so many conflicting messages out there, it can be difficult to decide what’s best for your lashes…
Mascara or Eyelash Extensions?
Let’s help you decide…
The world’s first commercially available mascara was invented in 1872 by French entrepreneur Eugène Rimmel. His formula consisted of petroleum jelly and coal dust. Ew!
Luckily, since then mascara has developed into an easy-to-use tube form, with a slick application wand.
Mascara has many benefits…
– It instantly thickens, darkens and lengthens your lashes
– Available in a variety of colours – opt for blue or purple to give a pop of colour to your makeup look!
– Removable – so you can go back to being a bare-faced beauty whenever you feel like it.
However, we all know the struggle of trying to get your mascara even, on both sides, with 0 clumps. IMPOSSIBLE!
It’s worth noting that mascara can cause:
– Dry, stiff lashes that may irritate your eyes.
– Waterproof mascaras may be difficult to remove, causing rubbing + eyelash fall-out.
– Excessive rubbing upon removal may break blood vessels around the eyes causing premature signs of ageing.
– If worn for too long without proper removal, your eyelashes may become brittle.
Mascara is best suited for someone who prefers a quick, subtle method to enhance their natural lashes for a short period (1 day).
The history of eyelash extensions dates back further than most people assume. In their beginnings, ‘falsies’ were made with a fine gauze material with human hair woven through it!
However, in the early 2000s, the lash industries in Japan and Korea began developing a far more specific technique… This consisted of single hairs being attached to each individual natural lash with a medical-grade adhesive.
Materials include synthetic silk, polyester and mink. Modern lash extensions are lightweight, sleek and comfortable.
There are 3 main types of lashes:
Classics, Hybrids + Russians
– In a classic lash appointment, 1 lash extension is applied to each natural lash.
– In a hybrid lash appointment, a mixture of classic lashes and volume fans are applied to create a more defined look.
– In a Russian lash appointment, a range of volume fans are applied to create a full, fluffy, dramatic lash look.
– It’s completely customisable – your look can be as natural or dramatic as you like!
– Virtually waterproof – although you shouldn’t get them wet in the first 48 hours. You can shower, swim and work out in your extensions.
– Pain-free – painless process from start to finish
– Saves time – cuts down your morning makeup routine
– Looks fabulous – you wake up every day with perfectly long, fluttering pretty lashes.
– If aftercare is ignored, there is a risk of infection. You must ensure you brush and clean your lashes daily with a lash shampoo. Always ensure you have had a patch test before your treatment to avoid an allergic reaction.
– Uneven fallout – your lashes are always at different stages of growth so some may fall out at different times. If you don’t attend an infill appointment your lashes may appear scattered and uneven.
– Washing your face can be tricky! Remember you can’t rub your eyes, so use a flannel and work around the eye area during your skincare routine.
Eyelash extensions are great for someone who’s looking to save time in the mornings and wake up with fabulous, fluffy lashes every day without fail!
Mascara or Lash Extensions? There is no right or wrong answer. It completely depends on your beauty routine. Always do what’s right for you.
At Hampson Beauty Clinic, whilst we have a range of lash extension types available, we also offer a natural lash lift and tint. Perfect for those who want to achieve a subtle lash enhancement.