Vitamin B12 Injections
What is Vitamin B12
It is classified as a vitamin as it is an essential nutrient for the human body and is regularly obtained from the food we eat. Like other vitamins its role is to catalyse or regulate metabolic reactions in the body. Vitamin B12 plays an important role in the body responsible for hematopoiesis (producing all types of blood cells), neural metabolism, DNA & RNA production, and carbohydrate, fat and protein metabolism. It also helps to improve iron function in the metabolic cycle and assists folic acid in choline synthesis.
The body systems where B12 is important
Vitamin B12 plays a key role in many body systems and organs and this list is increasing. It is needed for energy production through the Krebs Cycle, for the synthesis of DNA via the folate cycle which affects trillions of cells in the body, and for the expression of genes through epigenetic processes. It affects the proper functioning of the nervous and peripheral systems, mood and cognitive functions and the formation of blood in the bone marrow, skin and mucous membranes, bones, the glandular system, the immune system, the digestive system, fertility and pregnancy and development of the embryo.
Why Vitamin B12?
- After water and oxygen, vitamin B12 is the next essential micronutrient molecule vital for health.
- Vitamin B12 deficiency is common and can manifest at any age and is largely unrecognised.
- Vitamin B12 is crucial for many systems of the body to function correctly.
- Pernicious anaemia is just one illness related to a deficiency in vitamin B12.
- It is believed that vitamin B12 deficiency is not always detectable on blood tests.
- Symptoms such as depression, anxiety and psychosis as well as the early onset of dementia are common with vitamin B12 deficiency.
- Causes of B12 deficiency include genetic disorders, poor diet, gastrointestinal illness or surgery, alcoholism and use of antacids.
- Vitamin B12 is non-toxic – even at really high doses.
- Treatments are recommended every week for the first month then 1 treatment a month after the initial course.
Vitamin B12 Injection 1 x Treatment £25.00